Here at Abu Dhabi Personal Trainers we know that sticking to a new fitness routine can be hard! You set a new routine, dedicate yourself to it entirely and then your motivation starts lacking and you start making excuses as to why you can no longer train at the same intensity or frequency. To help you stick with your new fitness routine we have asked some of our top Personal Trainers here in Abu Dhabi what some of their tips and tricks are to stick with a new fitness routine:
- Find a friend or family member to exercise with – a friend can be a great ally to have in your fitness journey. On the days that you are lacking motivation and just don’t want to get out of bed, a workout partner can steer you back in the right direction. It is easier to bail out on exercising when there is no one there waiting for you to show up. Studies have also proven that you will work out longer when you are working out with someone else.
- Exercise for yourself – make sure that when you are setting yourself goals that you set some internally motivated goals. This means setting goals that are focused on how you are feeling on the inside rather than how you look on the outside. This does not mean you cannot set goals based on weight loss or muscle building it just means that you should have a mixture of internal and external goals. Your personal trainer will be able to help you with these goals.
- Set achievable goals to start with – while you should set long term goals, it is important to set short term goals that are achievable. It is easier to stay motivated when you are achieving your goals – again your personal trainer will be able to help you set short, medium and long term goals that are realistic.
- Stay strong – some days are going to be harder than others but don’t give up!
- Mix it up – doing different types of workouts will keep things interesting and will ensure you are working different muscle groups. Your personal trainer will be able to introduce you to a range of training styles – this will also help you determine what type of training you like the most.
- Make exercise part of your routine – your workout should be just as much a habit as brushing your teeth, making your workout part of your routine you won’t have to think about it.
- Don’t be hard on yourself – life is all about balance so live in the present! So you missed a training day or ate an entire block of chocolate? Leave the guilt in the past. Every day is a new day – don’t let your past dictate your future.