Here at Abu Dhabi Personal Trainers we believe in overall health – overall health is more than just exercising! It is important that in conjunction with exercising that you take care of your critically important organs. Our personal trainers have compiled a list of 8 tips to keep your kidneys functioning properly and keeping them, and you, as healthy as possible.
1. Exercise regularly – regular physical activity can help prevent weight gain, support weight loss and stave off high blood pressure.
2. Stop smoking – Smoking can damage your blood vessels and raise your blood pressure. Damage to your blood vessels decrease the flow of blood to your kidneys which means that they cannot function at optimal levels.
3. Stay hydrated – drinking 4 to 6 glasses of water will help keep your kidneys in working order!
4. Eat healthily – avoid fast foods which are hight in salt, sugar and saturated fat and can cause damage to your kidneys.
5. Reduce your salt – try not to add salt to your dishes – salt increases blood pressure.
6. Maintain a healthy weight – obesity puts a lot of pressure on your kidneys and is very harmful to your heart and your kidneys.
7. Be smart with medication – do not take painkillers without asking your doctor as taken too regularly over a prolonged period they can cause kidney damage.
8. If you’r at risk, get test regularly – if you have diabetes or high blood pressure then make sure your physician is screening your kidneys for dysfunction regularly.
The most important thing that you can do to keep your kidneys health is to look after your body to reduce your chances of developing diseases that put a strain on your kidneys.